Using up leftovers with pizza!

Monday, June 7, 2010

Today at work while rolling dough and doing various bakery tasks, I thought about dinnertime. What should I make? Lately I had been thinking a lot about Track Town Pizza, one of my favorite pizza joints in my college town, Eugene. My old boyfriend and I would go there after school on a weekday for their all-you-can-eat pizza buffet (I know, I know). During our eating frenzy I would always be stationed at the pizza drop-off point, waiting for the bbq chicken pizza. It was delicious! The combination of the sweet bbq sauce, cheddar and mozzarella cheeses and green onions made for a delicious bite. I had to stand there and wait because it went QUICK. Sometimes, I even had to fight for a slice! No joke.

Nowadays, I am vegetarian. The chicken on the pizza never tickled my fancy, but I did enjoy the sweet/savory je ne sais quoi that bbq chicken pizza offers. So today at work I decided that I would make a bbq tofu pizza. I looked up a recipe, and saw all the things that I had to buy: onions, cilantro, tofu, etc. I got a little nervous. Just recently I found that I got a job I applied for in Germany, so my goal is to save save SAVE for the next few months before I leave. And the thought of buying all these things when I have plenty of stuff at home made me a little uneasy. So I resolved to make a bbq pizza and use whatever I had on hand at home.

What a great idea! I had two very close to moldy green bell peppers, a couple cloves of garlic, PLENTY of Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ Chipotle Sauce and endless amounts of white and whole wheat flour for the crust. My adventure began! I made a crust using a
recipe from allrecipes.com. It's a very popular recipe on the site, and for good reason...it's delicious!!! It proofed perfectly and wasn't too dry or too chewy.

While the dough was proofing, I scoured the fridge.




I chopped some garlic, green peppers and cheddar cheese. All of it was on the verge and needed to be used ASAP. I also found some Morningstar Farms Veggie Bacon in the freezer, so I zapped that in the microwave and cut it up to add to the pile.


I rolled out the dough, threw some cornmeal on the baking sheet and went to work. After putting it all together, I baked it for 18 minutes. And voila! A beautiful, delicious meal made from on-the-verge-of-moldy stuff in my fridge.



...and not to be enjoyed without a Drifter from Widmer Brothers.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

The Foodie Foursome Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino