Farmers Market finds

Thursday, June 10, 2010

I, too, enjoyed a trip to the Farmer's Market yesterday. I was thrilled to find out Oregon City has a mid-week market; I'm unable to hit up the Saturday market because of work. The weather was a bit dreary and I came near the end of the market as a stop on the way home from work, but it did not disappoint. Still plenty of fresh produce, flowers and other goods available. My mother in law, who works for the county and was working at the information booth at the market, told me a few farmers had canceled because of weather. I'm not shy, I'm a true Oregonian and a few raindrops don't scare me.

I've learned a few things about the market. First, always do a loop before buying anything, ask questions about the food and other goods and scope out prices. Don't be afraid to ask about farming practices, farmers are usually happy to share. You probably won't see any "organic" labels there because of the cost of organic certification, but that doesn't mean the food isn't grown organically, so ask. Also, the Farmers Market is a good place to hook up with farmers who offer CSA subscriptions.

Here's my haul from yesterday's market:


A huge gorgeous bouquet of fresh flowers, 3 potted herbs for my garden (variegated marjoram, Italian parsley, and globe basil), 2 pints of fresh strawberries, asparagus, beets, and two bottles of wine from local King's Raven Winery.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The Foodie Foursome Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino