It's time to try something new (or old)

Friday, June 18, 2010

Do you like beets? How about broccoli? Asparagus? If you answered no to any of them, be honest...when was the last time you tried them? If it was as a child maybe it's time to give it another shot. I'm guilty of this too, for years I didn't eat avocado or mushrooms because I didn't think I liked them because I didn't like them as a kid. Now I love both! You can also have a false sense of dislike if you've never had whatever it is prepared well.

Last week at the farmers market I picked up some beets. The only thing I really remember of beets was that my grandmother ate them when I was very young (like 4 or 5) and I didn't like them. For years I haven't touched them, but they looked so beautiful with their deep purple color I decided I owed them a fair shot. I carefully searched for a recipe. I do love how in this age of the internet I don't have to take a shot in the dark with a recipe, I can rely on others experiences and feedback to find a trustworthy recipe. My favorite recipe site, allrecipes.com, had several recipes for beets but one stood out for the number of good ratings it had. I made Roasted Beets and Sauteed Beet Greens. The verdict: I still don't like beets. Haha! But at least I tried! My husband actually enjoyed the greens, I found them to be bitter.

I am excited to try something entirely new that I found at the grocery store yesterday. Garlic scapes are the buds of the garlic plant and the tag tells me they have a taste and texture somewhere between asparagus and artichokes with a mild garlicky-ness. I love garlic, asparagus, and artichokes so I figure I can't go wrong here. Looks like they are most popular for turning into garlic scape pesto. I'd like to try eating them whole first, though. Still trying to find a good recipe, if you know of any, let me know!

If it's been a while since you've really tried something, it's probably time to give it another go. Be sure to find a trusted recipe. Nothing worse than bad preparation to solidify your dislike of something. And don't be afraid of the new and unusual, too!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The Foodie Foursome Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino