Eat Raw? Why? I Could Never?

Wednesday, May 12, 2010





I love talking to people about different diets and seeing their reaction to the raw diet. This word is often followed by looks of shock and gruesome. I also hear a lot of, "Oh, I could do vegetarian, but never vegan and absolutely never ever raw." Well, I say never say never. I, myself am not on the raw diet, but do see many reasons why this diet is beneficial and why the idea is appealing. I like to correlate raw meals into my menu to try to keep things balanced and exciting. With beautiful summer produce coming, now is the time to prepare yourself. Many individual's bodies sort of freak out when they convert to eating all raw, mainly because the massive amount of fiber and nutrients is a shock to their system. A change can also make a person nauseated and experience headaches if their prior diet consisted of heavy amounts of caffeine, sugar and meat. After a couple days their body thanks them and adjusts. Fortunately, our bodies are very adaptable and try to make the best of whatever we are doing. That's why so many people eat so badly, because they don't see what is happening inside of them. Our bodies just go with what they get and later on you will see what actually was happening or the outcome. Raw food diets are proven to show an increase in energy, better digestion, weight loss and a pure looking complexion. I have also heard a friend mention that her eyes became brighter and more clear. As well as some hair color change.
I am attracted to the raw food diet because of it's overall intensity and concentration on whole plant foods. When you think about it this is probably how humans started eating. Talk about getting back to basics. Heat wasn't always available, which forced our ancestors to eat things raw or dried. Raw foodists believe that heating foods above 116 degrees depletes them of vital nutrients, enzymes and minerals. So the only form of heat or cooking that is done is dehydrating. It is also believed that one will absorb nutrients better and digest them better if they are not put above this temperature. The properties of the raw food diet lower risks of diabetes, heart disease, cancer, obesity and high cholesterol. Now, it is obvious that raw foods are good for your health, but would you really want to make all that food? It does include a lot of time "massaging" vegetables. I'm not kidding, some vegetables like kale you have to massage before you dehydrate to break down the cell wall. Truthfully, I only make raw foods sometimes, but when I do it is very fun.
Some of the equipment used for raw food preparation is a blender, dehydrator, juicer and some sort of sprouting jar. I love challenging recipes that test my patience and are really good for me. I enjoy incorporating green drinks and raw smoothies into my repetoire. They are easy and filling. Today, I made a smoothie for lunch with leaves of kale, lemon juice, one apple, agave nectar, flax seeds and water. I'll tell you after 16 ounces of that you are full! Although this was quick, some raw recipes require days to prepare for one dish, therefore it can be kind of tedious, but still benficial. Just by adding a couple of meals a week you can still notice a difference in your digestion and energy. I know I have. Here is an example of a 3-4 day long recipe for hummus that was very good, but did take a bit of preparation. You might begin to understand my reasoning for making quick smoothies and juices. This chart may aid your curiousity, if you are still thinking what the heck you would eat? Here is another recipe, this one a bit quicker, for an Avocado Chocolate Mousse. I have made a version of this one many times and it seriously satisfies my sweet tooth. I like to use orange juice instead of coconut milk and omit the oil, just my preference. Also, if you're not a vegan go ahead and try raw honey instead of agave. If you would like to try some of Portland's raw fare, here are the few. For a quick lunch and casual atmosphere go to Prasad, located downtown close to Powell's and Deschutes. I usually get their raw soups and leave very satisfied. They are not open that late so I suggest going for lunch or an early dinner. Also, try Blossoming Lotus for a nicer atmosphere. They have much to choose from, my favorite Live Nachos, to a Live Pizza, which I have yet to try. I hope that my talk of the raw food diet at least makes you curious and maybe a bit excited? Next time you make your morning smoothie throw in a handful of salad mix or spinach, add nutrients wherever you can. Your body will thank you in the long run.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The Foodie Foursome Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino