Gorgeous Garden Greens

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

As I water my Rainbow Chard daily, with these hot summer days, I ponder what the heck am I going to make with all of this. When I planted my seedlings I didn't think of the mass amount of harvest I would have. If you are an individual who is garden-less, then go on down to your farmer's market and get yourself some greens.

The best part about greens such as, laccinato kale, chard and mustard greens is that when you cook them they shrink vastly. Sometimes that might always be a good thing, but when you have as many as me, its great. Usually I simply steam or braise the greens in vinegar and a little salt and pepper. Delicious, but I need change...So, lately my preferred preparation for these Brassicas is finely chopping the leaves, followed by a steaming session of 3-4 minutes and a long shock in ice water. After I drain the cold water off I dress the leaves with olive oil, sea salt and pepper. No need to make a complicated dressing, just simply nature's wonderful flavor. Serve this salad cold with your favorite summer dish. Hope you enjoy! Happy Summer!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The Foodie Foursome Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino