What's my impact on the Earth?

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Find out your contribution to greenhouse gas emissions by calculating your carbon footprint. My favorite place to find out my footprint is at The Nature Conservancy website.

My carbon footprint is 7.7 tons of CO2 emissions per year. The United States average per person per year is 27 tons. The average per person worldwide is 5.5 tons. Why is mine lower than the average? I believe it's for a few reasons:



1. My boyfriend installed all compact-flourescent lightbulbs in our apartment. It was $30.00 to "re-bulb" our apartment, but they claim to last up to 8 years, and save $1,200 in energy costs (and CO2 emissions!).

2. I don't eat meat.

3. I rarely drive - my commute is to and from work (2 miles round trip)...and the occasional trip downtown. Is that sad?

My boyfriend's carbon footprint is 23 tons of CO2 per year. If you take away all his trips as a flight instructor, his number goes down to 16 tons. Time for a job change? :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

The Foodie Foursome Copyright © 2009 Designed by Ipietoon Blogger Template for Bie Blogger Template Vector by DaPino